Kia ora koutou,
Things have been busy since the last update of DOC tracks and facilities in the Whanganui District, much shovelling and digging mud has taken place!
- All facilities except John Coull and Ngaporo campsite are open. Target still 1stOctober as planned
- John Coull Hut; a digger is currently working at the site to clear a large slip and repair access from the river to the campsite. The campsite has been repaired and a new track to the hut has been constructed. It is expected that remaining work will take another two weeks to complete. We are expecting temporary toilets to be flown in for the Journey Season in mid-September
- Ngaporo campsite; work will begin on this campsite with the digger during the second half of September. Temporary toilets will also be flown to this before October 1st. This campsite will likely have a slightly reduced capacity
- We remain on track to have all facilities on the Whanganui Journey open by 1stOctober
Bridge to Nowhere track
- Good progress is being made with a digger, explosives team and ground crews to clear slips on the track. We expect this work to be completed within the next 10 days
- Repair work is underway with a 12 tonne digger moving through the track from the Ruatiti road end to the bike park (end of quad access) .
- A team of four contractors is making good progress clearing slips on the cycle-only section of track, we are hoping to have the track cleared from the road end through to Battleship Bluff by the end of next week.
- We are aiming to have the section of track between Battleship Bluff and Bennett’s camp open by the end of the month
- The section of track between Bennett’s camp to the Bridge to Nowhere has been cleared and is waiting for two bridges to be replaced, we are hoping to have these installed by the end of September
- It is important to note that further slips and debris on the track are likely, particularly after rain. We will continue to tidy the track once it has reopened, with our priority being to get the track open to a safe standard for cyclists as soon as we can.
- Initial work clearing windfalls with chainsaws is beginning tomorrow, weather permitting. It is hoped the track will be reopened after this